Monday, September 27, 2010

Santa Fe National Forest (Pecos Wilderness)

So a couple days ago I got back from a five day (four night) backpacking trip in the Pecos Wilderness right outside Santa Fe. The area is basically very mountainous with some peaks in the lower 13,000's of feet. I think the highest I got was in the 12,000's.. not sure exactly I'd have to check my map again and I'm on a computer time crunch right now. Nevertheless, a new altitude record for me! (besides obviously in planes..)
Anyways, the first day I started up a dirt road that was apparently a popular little day hike for people but it leads up further into the mountains and to regular trails after about 5 miles. This area was full of aspens.. very pretty.. apparently there is a very large stand of them there due to a fire 100 years ago or something (they come in after disturbances before the normal conifers succeed them after a while).
Aaanyways.. that led up onto some really sweet peaks just a few miles further.. very rocky and somewhat treacherous in places.. but not a problem if you're careful and your joints don't suddenly give out or something.
Then I continued on and back down from these peaks and into a nice grassy area (called Puerto Nambe I think). I camped down there.. it was a bit cold that night but not too bad.
The next day it was cloudy.. and I already knew there was a chance for rain... but I decided to pack up camp and continue on. Then around noon it started raining some.. but not much.. eventually I brought out my poncho.. and eventually it started raining a bit torrentially... and didn't stop really until the next morning. I nevertheless got in a few miles and it was pretty neat seeing the mountains in mist and such.
My shoes also got soaked because all of the trails began to turn into little streams. I had to set up my tent around 1700 because I was getting a bit too wet and cold even with the poncho. This resulted in my getting wetter and water in the tent.. not so good for cold weather.. but it wasn't too bad with the help of my super absorbent camp towel (kinda like the ShamWow! but without the infomercial).. just had to stay huddled in my sleeping bag for about 16 hours.
The next morning I spent slowly getting out of my tent, pacing/jogging/jumping-jacking back and forth in the sun to warm up and dry out my wet clothes (which I had put back on (wet) in order to dry them faster). I had camped by the Horsethief Meadow though, so it was fairly bright and I was able to dry out and be a bit warmer because of this.
That day I continued up in my generally northeastern route for a few hours (didn't really get going until about 1400), and then decided to get off the trail I had been on (the Skyline Trail) and start going South to create a bit of a loop back on some other trails. Then I camped.. that 3rd night I was the coldest. I don't know how cold it was but it must have been about freezing. My sleeping bag is pretty good.. but I should probably get some long underwear and thicker socks the next time I camp in a place that cold.
The next day I continued South and to a more civilized camp area there.. kinda weird because I was coming from the wilderness, so I quickly got back out of that area and into the wilderness going back West and towards my starting area. This was actually probably my longest hike of the trip.. because I was just trying to cover a lot of ground and there wasn't anything like rain or such to slow me down. I ended up taking this other trail (the 254?.. I believe) most of the way and ended up near where it interesected back with the original Skyline Trail again. Then I slept by a nice stream...
The last day I was ready to get out.. mainly because I was tired of the cold at night and also I was rather hungry (when backpacking I generally eat a similar amount to what I would normally eat if I weren't doing much physical activity.. but since I'm doing strenuous mountain climbing all day I end up getting very hungry and losing weight I believe). Anyways.. the last day I continued mostly back on my original trail.. with about 3 miles detour on a different trail to see another lake I hadn't seen before..
Then back up to the rocky ridges and back down and to my car.. out!
That night I stayed at the Santa Fe International Hostel. Pretty great place.. they had tons of food donated by Whole Foods and only $18 dollars a night! Computers or WiFi for an additional $2 as well. One could live there for a while pretty sweetly I'd say.. but I had to move on.
Stayed last night in my car somewhere in Albuquerque and now I'm on to Gila National Forest for a few days! Update ya'll laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment